Friday, May 15, 2015

The Sinking Ship

The ship sank.
"Why do I call it a ship?"
you ask.
Why not a boat,
               a canoe,
           or a raft?

"For a ship it surely is."
a ship with a large hold
a small stern
and the hull, the size of a whale.

Someone ran a spear
straight into the rear of the ship.
"What will a spear do to a ship?"
you ask again.

I smirk.
"A lot!"
The ship is soft and beautiful
and was afloat.

Water refuses to leave it now.
The outlet is way above,
on the deck
too proud to function
the main mast takes too much space
the sails unfurl and the rest all hides.

The mizzen is still to be found.
as tall as the main I want it to be
with interlocking shrouds.
"Such a ship could never exist."
you say finally.

This I think about
look at the sinking ship
drop an anchor far from the crowd.
Sneak into the crow's nest
afloat in my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment