Friday, November 7, 2014

"The animal in me" he said.
Before he could finish the sentence
"The animal" I wondered
How could I be one?
Haven't I spent enough
Time and energy on pretending
To be human?
For the life of me
I could not find the animal I was.
No I wasn't a horse, a rabbit, a cow or a mouse
My friend was an elephant, another a lion
And one even a whale.
I wasn't a hen, a crow or even an ant
I wasn't a hippo for sure.
I could be an eagle, a zebra, a platypus
Or even for that matter a pangolin.
I could be a hedgehog or maybe a goat.
But I think I was certainly not a bear.
Whatever I could be, I didn't know
Whatever I wanted to be was more difficult to tell
All that I could think for sure
I was something found not so readily;
And myself I sure wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment